Thursday, 3 July 2014

Catching up in the garden










I just haven’t managed to indulge in How Does Your Garden Grow over the last two weeks, as I’ve been proof reading the magazine, tweaking it, proof reading it again and finally signing it off.  Hurrah, it's done!  I can take a breather before launching myself into the autumn issue.

There’s much work to do in the garden as usual and never enough time, but Mr Smith and I enjoy working out there together.  I always forget how pretty the flowers on potato plants are; I'm thrilled with the succulents I bought from The Walled Nursery earlier this summer and alarmed at the rate of growth of the pumpkin plant I bought there, inspired by the pumpkins at Cherry Gardens Farm last autumn (it's like a triffid).  The packet of nasturtium seeds I planted in a large pot has come up trumps and I've stuck corks on the end of bamboo sticks propping up my tomato plants to avoid poking my eyes out.

I'm looking forward to catching up with this and the last couple of weeks of How Does Your Garden Grow over the next few days and getting some garden inspiration.


Manneskjur

9 comments:

  1. what beautiful pictures. a great array of colors you have going on. love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to post a comment on your Costa Rica posts, but some reason Blogger keeps throwing me off. Your images are beautiful and make me want to go back. I once house sat for a Dutchman who had a house in Costa Rica; he was returning home for Christmas and my husband and I had an amazing three weeks there (before children). I remember stunning coastline, Morpho butterflies, Toucans, volcanoes, cloud forest and huge Nicaraguan avocados from the market.

      Delete
  2. Such bright, bold colours - gorgeous! Liking the succulents a lot - rekindling my love at the moment with them.
    Corks on the bamboo = genius! I must do that myself. Oh dear, maybe I need to buy some wine for the corks... I am so selfless.
    Just been looking at your magazine - it's great! Lewes Bonfire Night looks like one epic event!
    Thanks for joining in again lovely lady x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Annie! Corks have many uses in the world of gardening and DIY.

      Delete
  3. I love it! Everything is so vibrant, like those Nasturtiums. They almost look like they have been taken abroad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. I'm not one for colour schemes as such in the garden, but maybe I should be. I just like bright colours.

      Delete
  4. are those first two pictures potatoes flowers, wow i have never seen them before and they really are pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. Not long until I'm digging them.

      Delete
  5. Lots of pretty colour in your garden. #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete